Did you know that HVLS fans offer year round benefits? That’s right! They not only help cool your...
Choosing The Right HVLS Ceiling Fan Size - A Complete Guide
MacroAir HVLS ceiling fans offer a very effective solution for maintaining comfort. These energy-efficient, massive fans are known for their ability to circulate large amounts of air at a low speed and are ideal for spaces like warehouses, factories, gyms, and more. However, selecting the right size of HVLS ceiling fan is crucial to maximize their efficiency and performance.
Let’s dive into the intricacies of HVLS ceiling fan sizing to help you make informed decisions while you consider your fan purchase.
HVLS Ceiling Fan Size
The primary measuring metric used is the fan's blade diameter, which ranges from 6-24 feet. The larger the fan diameter, the greater the amount of air moved by that fan.
Determining the Correct Fan Size for Your Space
Selecting the correct fan size involves evaluating various factors, including the square footage of your space, ceiling height, pitch, and slope, along with knowing the specific requirements of your application. A precise assessment ensures optimal airflow and energy efficiency. It is best to work with a professional representative from MacroAir to determine the type, size, and location of the fan/s needed in your space.
Factors to Consider When Selecting HVLS Fan Size
When choosing the right HVLS fan size, consider factors such as the building's layout, occupancy, and temperature requirements. Understanding these factors will help determine the size that suits your space best.
Benefits of Using the Correct HVLS Ceiling Fan Size
Increased Energy Efficiency
Choosing the right size ensures efficient air movement, minimizing energy consumption and operational costs.HVLS fans help decrease your energy costs. HVLS fans are much more efficient to run than typical HVAC systems.
Improved Indoor Air Quality
Airflow is very important to keep indoor air quality levels safe. Keeping air moving is essential. Properly sized HVLS fans help maintain consistent air circulation, reducing the risk of stagnant air pockets and improving air quality. HVLS fans also draw fresh air from the outside and blend it with the stale air inside to create a more ventilated environment.
Enhanced Occupant Comfort
A well-sized HVLS fan creates a much more comfortable environment by thoroughly mixing the temperature layers in the air and providing even airflow. In fact, MacroAir fans have been proven to help warehouse temperature control and cool employees by up to 15°F.
Extended Lifespan of the Fan
When correctly sized, HVLS fans operate within their design parameters, meaning they do not need to overwork to keep the air moving. This leads to a longer fan lifespan of the fan and reduced maintenance costs because there is less wear and tear on the fan.
Affected Airflow Area
HVLS fan blade diameter is a key factor in fan size selection. Smaller high-velocity fans are suitable for areas under 2,500 square feet, while larger spaces may require large fans. One HVLS fan can cover spaces as small as 1,400 square feet and as large as 22,000 square feet. The chart above shows the affected area of every HVLS fan in the MacroAir product line-up.
HVLS Ceiling Fan Airflow and CFMs
Cubic Feet Per Minute (CFM) is the measurement of the volume of airflow. It is determined by the amount of cubic feet of air that passes by a stationary point in one minute.
The Air Movement and Control Association (AMCA) is currently working with HVLS manufacturers to test accurate CFM metrics for all HVLS fans offered (models and diameters). Certain fan companies have released their findings, while others have not. MacroAir has just completed the rigorous testing process and is currently awaiting the results. Once results are available, they will be posted for all to see the powerful air movement offered.
How to Measure Your Space for HVLS Ceiling Fan Size
You’ll want to get an accurate measurement of the ceiling height, mounting height, and total square footage including the length and width of the facility. It is also helpful to have photos of the space prepared to share with the MacroAir representative you are working with.
Each installation and application is slightly different, and proper fan placement is vital for optimal performance. Because of these unique challenges, it is best to work with our company representative to ensure you have the right fan for your facility.
HVLS Ceiling Fan Installation
Fan Installation - Professional
MacroAir offers professional installation on every fan purchase for an additional fee. Buyers can contact MacroAir directly to get a quote on fan installation. Typically an installer can be on site within a couple of days of the fan’s arrival (with advanced notice). The timeline is contingent upon the installation schedule and in the absence of prior notification may increase the time allocation for a fan installation.
Fan Installation - Buyer
If you choose to forego professional installation, we recommend you closely follow a comprehensive installation guide to ensure a safe and successful installation if you choose to do it yourself.
With MacroAir, buyers are free to set up their own installation with no penalty to their warranty period. Buyers are also free to install their own fans with no penalty to the warranty. However, most fan issues arise from faulty installation. If a fan has faulty installation, MacroAir will not cover replacement parts under warranty.
MacroAir Installation Guides
HVLS Ceiling Fan Maintenance
Maintaining your HVLS fan is crucial for long-term performance and efficiency.
Routine maintenance tasks help prevent issues and keep your fan operating smoothly. This includes an initial overall check of the blades and frame, mounting hardware, guy wires, power unit, and safety cables. More details on ceiling fan maintenance can be found in our Ceiling Fan Maintenance blog.
How to Extend the Lifespan of Your Fan
Conducting routine maintenance on your fan helps to extend its lifespan. Download our MacroAir ceiling fan care card as a quick reference for all fan maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
NUMBER OF FANS
What key information is needed in order to determine the appropriate number of fans required for a given space or application?
- Gather the following: room size, building layout, ceiling height, and electrical needs. MacroAir recommends contacting our customer care representatives, so we can help to select the best fan for your space at 866-668-3247.
What is the standard drop length requirement for MacroAir fans?
- Standard 3 ft drop requirement for most fans, requiring a ceiling height of at least 13 ft. Many models can be shortened to a 2 ft drop standard. The AVD370 can be as short as 1 ft drop standard dependent upon the application.
What is the minimum height requirement for a MacroAir fan?
- A fan must have a minimum height requirement of 10 ft above floor plus a drop length requirement of 3 feet, which means the total required height from top of ceiling to floor is 13 feet. Blade tips should be at least 3 ft away from any area where a person may be able to reach them.
What is the required distance from the wall to the fan?
- A MacroAir fan must be 1.5 times the diameter of the fan from the wall. So, for example, if the fan was 6 feet in diameter, take 6 x 1.5 = 9. That means the ceiling fan must be 9 feet from the wall.
What is the required distance between fans?
- Depending on the diameter of the MacroAir fan, take that diameter and multiply it by 3 to find the distance between fans. For example, if the diameter of the fan is 6 feet, take 6 x 3 = 18. That means there must be 18 feet in between fans.
Do MacroAir fans need to be close to the ground for better air movement?
- No, fans do not need to be close to the ground. In fact, keeping fans higher allows for more air circulation.
We recommend contacting our experts to answer all clearance and spacing questions: 866-668-3247.
Does MacroAir have professional installation?
- MacroAir does have professional installation! We would be happy to quote and set up installation for you at the time of purchase.
How long does installation take?
- A typical installation timeline for a two-man crew is approximately two-three hours per fan. MacroAir can usually finish up to three fans in a day depending on the scope of work and the installation specifics.
How quickly can someone be here to do the installation?
- MacroAir can typically have an installer on site within a couple of days of the fan’s arrival with advanced notice. The timeline is contingent upon the installation schedule and in the absence of prior notification may increase the time allocation for a fan installation.
How do I get an installation quote?
- Contact MacroAir to get a quote on fan installation. MacroAir can also promptly arrange for an installer in your location to provide a quote.
Is a fan warranty void if installation is done by the buyer?
- Buyers are free to set up their own installation with no penalty to their warranty period. Buyers are also free to install their own fans with no penalty to the warranty. However, most fan issues arise from faulty installation. If a fan has faulty installation, MacroAir will not cover replacement parts under warranty.
Hopefully, after reading this guide, you feel more informed about HVLS fan sizing. MacroAir is ready to help you get the right fan for your space. Reach out to one of our knowledgeable representatives to get started today!